Randy Seaver opened the day with a Keynote address on "Become a Family History Detective!"
The formal highlight was Ceasar Castro's presentation on "Who Is Chief David Bejarano?" Ceasar managed to find all 16 2nd great-grandparents and 20 3rd great-grandparents of the former San Diego and Chula Vista police chief. David's ancestry was from Mexico from the grandparents back in time. Plus, we got to meet his beautiful family, including a 3-day old grandchild. It is their ancestry also!
The CVGS volunteers worked with members of the community in nine separate areas:
* In the entry way to the library was the Welcome sign-in desk and drawing table, plus the South Bay Historical Society table had volunteers to answer local history questions, with newsletter handouts.
* The entrance to the library had a Welcome table with handouts from Ancestry.com, Findmypast, and MyHeritage.
* The Family Tree chart area, where volunteers helped persons fill out their five generation chart.
* The Computer Lab, where volunteers helped persons find records online for their ancestors.
* The Children's Room, where volunteers helped children and their parents fill out a family tree, color maps, a family interview, a "Who I Am" chart, and more.
* A "Getting Started" area, where volunteers answered questions about research, resources and DNA.
* The San Diego FamilySearch Library brought six laptops and helped persons find records in online databases and the FamilySearch Family Tree.
* The Family History book area had a display of the 20 new genealogy books recently ordered by the library, and volunteers helped persons find specific books.
* There was an "Honoring Our Veterans" display, with a one page writeup and a photograph of the honored veteran. Twelve CVGS members submitted information for the display. CVGS will use this display at the San Diego History Center in November.
This was an excellent team effort between the society and the library. It was a wonderful success. A good time was had by all who attended. So far, we have welcomed two new members to CVGS and hope for more.
Ana and Ceasar Castro hosted an after-party for the volunteers on Sunday at their beautiful home in Chula Vista.