Friday, June 20, 2008
LDS FamilySearch Web Site Highlights
As part of the CVGS Beginning Genealogy class this week, I was asked to provide a list of some FREE genealogy web sites that can help researchers find information.
One of the sites I selected was the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (LDS) site http://www.familysearch.org/. This web site has significant genealogy resources, including:
1) Family History Library Catalog – Search for Books, Manuscripts, etc in FHL Collection at http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Library/FHLC/frameset_fhlc.asp
This site allows you to search for Surname, Locality and Ethnic/Social Group Books and Manuscripts in their collections. The Microfilm and Microfiche items listed can be ordered at local LDS Family History Centers (FHCs).
2) Online Databases at -- http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/frameset_search.asp, including --
* 1880 US Census, 1881 Canada Census, 1881 UK Census transcriptions (no images) with Every Name Indices
* Ancestral File – search for submitted family data (error-prone, all member submitted)
* Pedigree Resource File – search for submitted family data (member submitted, edited)
* International Genealogical Index (IGI) -- search for extracted data items (error-prone if member submitted)
* Record Search Pilot Databases - http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/. The LDS is currently imaging and indexing many of the microfilms and microfiches in their collection. When image collections and indexes are completed (or partially completed), they are put on this web site for access by anyone.
3) Research Outlines – States, Countries, Special Groups, Topics -- http://www.familysearch.org/Eng/Search/RG/frameset_rhelps.asp. These Research Outlines provide information about the records available for each state, country, group or topic treated. Many are in PDF form and can be downloaded.